First time babywearing (DIY)

Alhamdulilah it's been awhile since I have posted. MashaAllah with the newest addition to our family here, we have been slightly busier and adjusting to new schedules and just bonding. Recently I was looking for a baby carrier. I saw some really nice looking ones such as the moby wrap and while all the colors were cool and bright, there were a few problems I had that stopped me from buying them:

1.) Too expensive
2.) Didn't appear convenient
3.) Looked uncomfortable for my back

Granted I did not buy the wrap, I read a lot of reviews from people who have and even if number 3 was not a factor, I knew number 2 would be a real issue. I could not imagine being outside, then nursing the baby and having to unwrap a lot of fabric and then needing help to redo it.

On the TMH facebook page (www.facebook.com/traditionalmuslimah) a wonderful friend and sister in Islam Umm Haya of Fulltime Muslim Mommies and Wives suggested using a bed sheet. I thought that was interesting so I looked it up online and found a video on how to do it with a bed sheet.

Alhamdulilah I was going to go out and buy a sheet LOL but Allah is so Merciful, my husband had this wonderful fabric that he uses for a turban in the house. It is stretchy, long, and it was just right mashaAllah. Also helped that it made me think of him :)
Even though it is black it works perfectly for babywearing mashaAllah.  So after cleaning it and measuring it out...I tried it on the baby and he was comfortable, close to my heart and happy

We just saved a little more than 40.00 dollars and it feels comfy, and good for me and Tahleel. Simply by draping it over my shoulder and tying a slip knot (that helps you adjust the tightness) I had my very own baby carrier mashaAllah (see video: http://magiccityslingers.wordpress.com/2007/06/24/how-to-carry-a-baby-in-a-bed-sheet-or-shawl-or-rebozo-or-shorty/)

Now with my first time officially babywearing... I already ran into so do's and don't's in regards to summer time babywearing. One if you can help it... Do not use black, in my case, this fabric is breathable, stretchy, and very good for now! Do wear light colors and put light colors on the baby, especially if you are using a black carrier. Do dress in cool outfits, light fabric, nothing too bulky. I have a habit of wearing over coats even in the summer so I had to not do that (obviously right ;) and do enjoy it!


Comments

  1. I sewed my own sling, but I don't like how it fits. Before I sewed it, I tried the bedsheet one, I didn't like it either. Maybe it depends with your body shape? Alhamdulilah I have a good baby and he doesn't mind playing by himself while I am doing things around the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, I used a carrier before.. baby bjorn and a snugli, for a very very brief time. I did not like how they fit on me and made me feel. I know a few others who find it comfortable but it did not work for me. This sling works for me alhamdulilah looking forward to traveling with it inshaAllah and seeing how it goes. Awwww so glad you have a good baby that knows how to keep himself busy :) mashaAllah <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let's keep it positive, what's on your mind?

Popular Posts